BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y. Flooding at Todd Elementary School that caused the relocation of one fifth grade class has been repaired, district officials announced Wednesday.
Stuart Mattey, assistant superintendent for business and technology, said a malfunctioning water heater booster in the ceiling was identified as the problem. Water leaked into the fifth grade classroom and one of two kitchens where student meals are cooked and served.
"There was quite a bit of damage," Mattey said, adding the cost of the damage has yet to be calculated, although the district's insurance company has been notified.
The class of approximately 50 students was moved to a vacant classroom being used as a teacher professional room. The students returned to their normal classroom Monday. Meals were transported in warmers from the other kitchen in the school and serving lines were set up.
Last June, Todd Elementary School also experienced flooding, not from faulty equipment, but as a result of Mother Nature.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.