OSSINING, N.Y. As Hurricane Irene approaches, Town of Ossining officials have sent out a tip sheet on what to do before the storm:
- Bring loose objects inside from your yard, porch or terrace, including furniture
- Secure your doors and windows
- Stay tuned to local news for word on the storm's timing and severity and possible evacuation orders
- Check on relatives, friends and neighbors with special needs
- Have one gallon of bottled water per person per day on hand, in case your water supply is affected.
- Have non-perishable food, flashlights and batteries at hand in case the electricity goes out.
- Secure valuables that can be damaged by water in waterproof containers
- Pack a "Go Bag" in case you need to evacuate
- Have cash in smaller denominations ready
- Make sure you have supplies for infants and pets, as well as medications that you and family members need
Town officials also listed telephone numbers that may be useful during the storm:
- United Way's HelpLine for non-emergencies: 211
- ConEd's number for gas and electrical service problems: 1-800-75-CONED
- NYSEG's electricity power outage line: 1-800-572-1131
- NYSEG's natural gas power outage line: 1-800-572-1121
- County Parkways number to check on the latest parkway conditions: 914-864-7700
- Bee-Line Buses number to check on bus service: 914-813-7777
- Metro North Railroad: 1-800-METRO INFO
Are you preparing for Hurricane Irene? Leave a comment below or join TheDailyOssining.com on Facebook .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.