BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y. -- The village is working diligently to clean up the mess left by the early December fire at the Law Park pool pavilion, according to Village Manager Philip Zegarelli’s latest report.
Zegarelli said the pool has been drained, cleaned, and partially refilled. A new pool cover has been ordered and should be delivered by the middle of January, he said.
The two-story structure on Pleasantville Road is widely considered to be hub of the village.
Zegarelli had previously reported that the pavilion is likely a total loss, and that the fire’s cause was unknown.
Tennis courts, an ice-skating rink and the library are also located at the park.
Zegarelli has said that the village is committed to rebuilding the facility by Memorial Day.
The pool facilities and offices have been emptied and all salvageable items have been cleaned upand stored for use next year, according to the report.
The village has finished cleaning up around the pavilion’s perimeter but it waiting, Zegarelli said, for engineering studies on its concrete floor and support beams before any other decision are made. The trees scorched by the blaze are also being examined to see if they can be saved, he said.
The site remains off limits while investigations are under way, Zegarelli added.
In other village news:
- Due to the New Year’s holiday , all routine services and administrative offices will be closed on Saturday, Jan. 2, and Sunday, Jan. 3. Saturday and Sunday. Normal service resumes Monday, Jan. 4. The library, however, will have normal operating hours – 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Sunday.
- The Fire Department and Hudson Valley Blood Services will be hosting a Blood Drive from 3 p.m. - 7 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 7 at Central Fire Headquarters. Walk-ins are accepted. For more information, click here .
- From the Library and Community Center . An exhibit of historic maps of Briarcliff Manor and the area from the collection of the Briarcliff Manor- Scarborough Historical Society will be on display on the second floor of the Library from Monday, Jan. 4 through Thursday, Jan. 31. An opening eggnog reception and chat will be held from 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 10. Drop-In Technology Time. Fridays, from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. starting Jan. 8. Have a question about using your tablet, smartphone, laptop or other technology issue? Drop into the library to meet with a high school student volunteer, for up to a 60-minute session. Combination Act/New SAT Practice Test. From 10:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 9. This free practice test is offered at the Briarcliff Manor Public Library by Kaplan Test Prep. Registration is required and space is limited. To register, please email Amy Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Library at (914) 941-7072. Storytimes for Children program resumes the week of Jan. 4.
- Recreation and Parks. Platform Tennis season is now in full swing, so if you haven’t purchased your 2015-2016 permit yet, do so soon. Contact the Recreation Department for details, or visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information. Registration for winter recreation programs are also under way. Visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org to view the Winter Brochure and fliers for all winter programs. If you do not have access to a computer, please call the Recreation Department at (914) 941-6560 to have a printed copy mailed to you.
- Mayor and Board of Trustees. The next board session is 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 12.
- The village's Police Benevolent Association reports that its annual coat and toy was a success.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.