BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y. – St. Mary’s Episcopal Church will celebrate its 175th anniversary on Sunday, Jan. 12, at the Briarcliff Manor Public Library.
The celebration begins at 2 p.m. There is no charge, but people are asked to RSVP for the event. Reservations can be made by calling the Briarcliff Manor-Scarborough Historical Society at 914941-4393 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Mary’s originally met in a small one-room school house on the corner of Sleepy Hollow Road and Albany Post Road. The congregation was known at the time as St. Mary’s Beechwood. The church, now at 669 Albany Post Road in Scarborough, features the only complete set of stained glass windows by renowned artist John Jay Bolton.
The church is considered one of the first places for education of children in the region, according to information from the Briarcliff Manor-Scarborough Historical Society. Many parents who worked on the Croton Aqueduct had their children attend St. Mary’s. The Rev. William Creighton is credited as being the founder of St. Mary's, according to documents from the BMSHS.
In 1937, the Ossining Historical Society created a silent movie on behalf of the church. Parishioners of the time took the roles and dramatized the story of the school’s beginning. The black-and-white movie will be shown at the library event.
Refreshments in the form of old fashioned desserts, several from an old St. Mary’s cookbook, will be served at the event.
More information about St. Mary’s can be found on the church website.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 2 Briarcliff's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 4 Westchester Parishes Waiting On Word Of Closures
- 5 2 Tulip Road Is The Briarcliff Daily Voice House Of The Week