BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y. -- Singer Derrick McQueen will perform Saturday, Feb. 1, in "Paul Robeson through His Words and Music" at Briarcliff Congregational Church.
McQueen will narrate the story of Robeson, interspersed with several of Robeson's songs during the performance, which begins at 7:30 p.m. at the church, 30 South State Road in Briarcliff Manor. Robeson (1898 – 1976) was an African-American scholar, athlete, performer, and civil rights activist. He performed both classical music and spirituals, and may be best known today for his performance of “Old Man River” in the Broadway musical "Showboat."
McQueen received a degree in Theater Arts from Drew University where he was a soloist for the Drew University Chorale.
"Paul Robeson through His Words and Music" is produced by the East Lynne Theater Company of West Cape May, N.J. and was written by the company’s artistic director, Gayle Stahlhuth. For further information, call the church office at 914-941-4368.
- 1 State Police Warn Briarcliff Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 3 Valhalla Man Recovers After 18-Wheeler's 'Ice Missile' Breaks Windshield
- 4 Head Of Yoga Empire With Westchester Locales Faces Rape Allegation
- 5 Chance Of Snow Returns To Briarcliff Overnight