BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y. -- Singer Derrick McQueen will perform Saturday, Feb. 1, in "Paul Robeson through His Words and Music" at Briarcliff Congregational Church.
McQueen will narrate the story of Robeson, interspersed with several of Robeson's songs during the performance, which begins at 7:30 p.m. at the church, 30 South State Road in Briarcliff Manor. Robeson (1898 – 1976) was an African-American scholar, athlete, performer, and civil rights activist. He performed both classical music and spirituals, and may be best known today for his performance of “Old Man River” in the Broadway musical "Showboat."
McQueen received a degree in Theater Arts from Drew University where he was a soloist for the Drew University Chorale.
"Paul Robeson through His Words and Music" is produced by the East Lynne Theater Company of West Cape May, N.J. and was written by the company’s artistic director, Gayle Stahlhuth. For further information, call the church office at 914-941-4368.
- 1 Driver Crashes Into Gate At Chappaqua Railroad Crossing
- 2 TV Show Interview With Daughters Of SUV Driver In Fatal Crash Postponed
- 3 Daughters Defend Mother Who Drove SUV In Fatal Train Crash On 'Today' Show
- 4 Area Residents Remain On High Alert After Signs Of Bear In Yorktown
- 5 Snow Could Return To Briarcliff For Monday Morning Commute